Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Growing Wave of Bankruptcies

Are you fond of using credit cards? If you are then I know you are aware that you have to be careful when using them. I’m a big spender and I often use credit cards to buy any item that catches my fancy. The problem is that I was getting so carried away with my shopping that I did not realize that I accumulated close to $20,000 in debts. As a result of my spending habits, I was having a hard time keeping up with paying my monthly bills. I was so worried with my predicament that when that new laws for bankruptcies were being passed, I was tempted to file.

Since the deadline for filing bankruptcies before the implementation of the new laws was approaching and I have yet to make a decision about filing, I decided to talk it over with my husband. After a long discussion I decided that I would not do it. I realized that I have to take responsibility for being careless with using credit cards. My conscience just couldn’t bear taking the easy way out. I was disgusted when I heard that a friend chose to file despite only having a few thousand in debts. They even have the nerve to purchase a brand new car and to go on a cruise on some tropical island before they filed. Since they charged the car and the cruise, they were able to enjoy them for free.

News about the passing of the new laws caused a 30% increase in the number of bankruptcies filed in 2005. More than two million people filed for personal bankruptcies, making it the highest number ever filed in a one year period. Those statistics means that millions of people found themselves in deep financial trouble last year. A number of reasons have been given for having severe debts including job loss, credit cards, and medical bills. Among them high medical bills seems to be the most frequent cause of huge debts. It just goes to show how important it is to have adequate health care. A major accident or illness can quickly put you into insurmountable debts.

Hopefully the new laws will be able to discourage people from taking advantage of filing bankruptcies. They should encourage people to be more responsible with their money. Filing will not bail them out from spending money on unnecessary furniture or luxury cruises. On the other hand the laws can also make it tougher for people who acquire uncontrollable debts from unexpected mishaps. Be more responsible with using credit cards and make sure that you keep an eye on your financial situation to avoid the complications of filing for bankruptcies.


http://www.articleson.com/Article/The-Growing-Wave-of-Bankruptcies/24508